C. S. Taylor-Santos

Blog created for Dr. Byers courses as part of the MSIT program at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Course Expectations, Instructional Design

My initial naive expectations of the course of Instructional Design were to a) gain experience in taking a graduate level course, b) learn how to maneuver through an online course, and c) complete one of 11 requirements to graduate with a Master's of Science in Instructional Technology. However, I have since realized that while Instructional Design does meet the above criteria, taking a course includes significant involvement on my part, and this course will have assigned material which I will be responsible for learning, and projects which I will be required to complete on a specified time schedule. Now that I have reached that understanding, I have initiated the process of determining how best to approach the course material.

Having been out of the work force for almost 15 years, my daily vocabulary changed from technical, scientific, work related to coo's, first words, spelling tests for grade schoolers to arguing with a high schooler about the merits of completing large assignments incrementally, without the distraction of media, and in a timely manner. As much arguing and instructing as I have done over the last ten years since reaching the level of parenting school aged offspring, I believe I have a fairly strong foundation for time management and organizational skills, conflict resolution and group cooperation. I believe I have used subconsciously an extremely simplified version of Instructional Systems Development during my ongoing parenting skills development period, mainly due to trial and error (Perhaps an informal parental form of formative evaluation?).

Therefore, my current expectations for this course are to: absorb the educational jargon into my vocabulary, explore and absorb in detail the individual components of ISD, use this knowledge in the production of an ID project, and complete this course with a final product that will be useful to others. Achieving a good grade would also boost my confidence.

In addition to the larger expectations above, I have smaller goals which include increasing my comfort with: an academic setting, dealing with new technical situations, taking tests, understanding and memorizing class materials, working with group members of varied backgrounds and writing to share ideas.

As I read and understand the text, assigned reading, and class materials, it becomes clear to me that this course is the foundation for all of the work I will do as I move through each step of the MSIT degree program. I intend to consider all of the model of ISD during each of my classes, as well as regular work or life situations which present opportunities for instruction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home